If you've ever spent any time at the Rozelle markets early on weekend mornings, you may have been lucky to glimpse Kelly Doust in her element. Arms laden, she is a blur of fabric as she works her way from stall to stall, systematically rooting out gems from the rubble. Afterall, a vintage expert and Crafty Minx extraordinaire always needs more inspiration and source materials.Kelly is the author of four Crafty Minx books, The Crafty Minx, The Crafty Kid, Minxy Vintage and now her new book The Crafty Minx at Home. She has also penned a memoir called A Life in Frocks.
Her previous books are craft bibles with clever projects one can achieve at home and with great tips about how to do so. TCMAH is that again and a beautiful beautiful book.
Broken down into sections covering different rooms in the home, including the outside, it still provides us with a bevy of upcycling projects and unique tips for handling old materials, so as to transform them into treasured family heirlooms.
The pictures, however, that were shot in Kelly's own home, together with Kristy Allen's delicate illustrations make TCMAH a simply gorgeous object itself.
Kelly's playful writing style is also a joy to read, so even if you are more of a collector than a crafter, there is plenty here for you.
Kelly Doust talked to Potts Point about her new book. Here is what she had to say.
What is it about vintage clothing and styling that appeals to you?
KD: I just really love the look of things which have a history to them - handmade and well-crafted items always seem so much more interesting to me than new or mass-produced products. Feathering your nest with vintage also makes it easier to live by the mantra, reduce, reuse & recycle.
You share so much knowledge in this book. Do you think learning about objects and having all that history is part of the pleasure of living vintage? And do you think you need to be knowledgable before being a successful vintage decorator?
KD: Loads of people enjoy vintage and handcrafted items without understanding how they're made or what their original purpose was, but I found collecting spurred me to learn more. It doesn't mean I don't still bring home random items, though... if it appeals, I'll snap it up. I think everyone should do this - when you collect objects you love or simply have to have, you create a personal home environment unlike any other.
You make incorporating vintage styling into a modern family lifestyle look easy, however I'm sure it's much more complicated. What do you think people should consider before trying this in their own homes?
KD: It's really not, but if you're hesitant there's a good trick to keep in mind: pair high-end with low-rent, and vintage with modern. Give a scruffy vintage dresser a makeover with lovely milk paint from Porter's Paints, for example, or update a fine old chair with luxe new fabric. And take your time. Truly beautiful interiors are always evolving; it doesn't happen overnight.
As I understand it, the book was photographed in your family home. What was that like?
KD: Completely nuts, and hilarious at times. We'd clear an area to set up items which would look just gorgeous for a photo, while the rest of the room was in shambles...but it was great having every prop I could think of at hand to illustrate the shots, and I think it helps the book to convey how it's done: this is the way we really live and anyone can do it.
![]() |
| Illustration by Kristy Allen |
KD: Well Amanda Prior (our wonderful photographer - The (Sydney) Magazine, Inside Out, etc) did an amazing job from her end, but I'm not too fond of dark furniture or fabrics because they make our already tiny cottage seem even smaller. I tend to gravitate towards lighter and brighter materials.
Now that you've crafty-minxed your way through our wardrobes, homes and sewing rooms, what next?
KD: Thanks for asking. I'm actually working on a novel. It's completely daunting and totally different from writing non-fiction, but I'm so enjoying the process. Readers of the previous books won't be surprised - it's got a strong vintage and fashion theme. I hope I'll be finished soon!
The Crafty Minx at Home out now! $40

No comments:
Post a Comment